Who are the people you should surround yourself with when you’re making a major career pivot? Who are the people you should avoid spending too much time with when you’re facing some career challenges?
In Episode 44 of Career Relaunch, Adrian Knight, managing director of Knight Franchises, shares his perspectives on how to handle the range of people who affect your career plans. He’ll also share some insights from his experiences helping professionals transition out of corporate life into franchise business ownership and discuss how franchising can be a doorway to career change. I’ll also share my personal thoughts on the importance of being selective about who you allow to be a part of your career and life decisions.
Key Career Insights
- Sometimes, you have to take a hiatus from people who may have some preconceived notion of how your life should look so you can focus on what you really want.
- Be careful about allowing others to critique your career decisions. They may not share the same outlook on life, values, or perspectives on what truly matters to you.
- Remember that your choices are not always going to make sense to others. Make sure you surround yourself with people who believe in the agenda you’ve decided is best for your life.
Tweetables to Share
Resources on the people you allow into your life
- 3 People You Should Connect With When Changing Careers- Joseph Liu’s article in Forbes
- Great quotes on how to handle negative people in your life- Pinterest
- 37 quotes on how to deal with negative people- Bryce Lewis
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about pinpointing someone in your life who’s been a positive force for your career.
It could be a good friend, a family member, a colleague, or even an individual you’ve JUST been following online. Then, take the time to get an extra dose of their presence in your life this week. You could drop them a note to say hello, set up a time to reconnect over the phone, or better yet,
make time to meet with them.
While you’re at it, please don’t forget to let them know how much you appreciate the positive impact they’ve had in your life. I’d love to hear whom you choose to reach out to. Leave a comment below!
About Adrian Knight, Managing Director of Knight Franchises
Adrian Knight is the Managing Director of Knight Franchises, an executive search firm that helps professionals transition out of corporate life into franchise business ownership. Knight Franchises are fully accredited members of the British Franchise Association and in 2017, won an Entrepreneurship award from NatWest for Innovation and Accelerated Business Growth. Adrian’s focused on helping professionals evaluate whether franchising is a viable vehicle for you, educating them on the industry, and identifying the models that best meet their financial and lifestyle aspirations.
If you want to learn more about franchising and whether it’s a viable option for your career, you can schedule a 1-hour consultation with Adrian’s team at Knight Franchises.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Adrian know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting allows you to offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.