How can you figure out how you should be devoting your professional efforts? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Sacha Romanovitch, CEO of Grant Thornton UK, explains why she decided to take a hiatus from work to figure out where to take her career. We’ll also talk about what you can gain by stepping away from your work and how you can be more intentional in your career. During the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll explain how you can use the concept of Ikigai to clarify where you belong as a professional.
Key Career Insights
- Thinking about the intersection of what you’re good at, what you’re passionate about, what the world needs, and what can I earn money from can clue you into your place in this world.
- Even if you’re not 100% happy with how things are going in your career, if you can be clear on what really matters to you as early as possible in your career, you can usually find a path that navigates you through that well.
- You have to be clear with yourself about what you’re okay failing at so you can focus on those areas where you want to succeed.
Tweetables to Share
- I referenced the book The Little Book of Ikigai, by Ken Mogi. Learn more about Ikigai in this video by Ken Mogi
- Learn more about the Vibrant Economy and Inclusive Economy Partnership Sacha referenced on the show.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked the concept of Ikigai–the intersection of passion, mission, vocation, and profession–as a way of shedding light on where you may feel more fulfilled professionally and challenged you to make a 1-hour appointment with yourself to figure this out. What did you end up discovering? Leave a comment below!
About Sacha Romanovitch, CEO of Grant Thornton UK
Sacha Romanovitch is CEO of Grant Thornton in the UK, a £500m business with 4,500 people whose purpose is to shape a vibrant economy. Sacha became the first female to be elected as CEO of a major accountancy firm and took up the role in July 2015.
With a firm belief in how clarity of purpose liberates our people to deliver sustainable value for our clients, people and communities we serve, Sacha established the firm’s purpose of shaping a vibrant economy where we are building trust and integrity in markets, unlocking the potential for growth in dynamic businesses and creating environments where business and people thrive.
Regularly speaking on transformational leadership and a sustainable future, Sacha also engages her 6,000 Twitter followers about systemic change from self-interest, competition and hierarchy to shared purpose, collaboration and connected communities for a new normal of a vibrant economy working for all.
Introducing shared enterprise Sacha has opened the opportunity for all our people to share in profits. Sacha has capped her reward to 20x the average employee. Championing social mobility, including chairing Access Accountancy, in 2017 the firm was recognised as number 1 in the Social Mobility Employer’s Index.
Sacha has two sons (14 and 10) and relies on them, her husband and yoga/meditation to bring perspective to life.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Sacha know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to A2 Hosting for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting is the web host provider I use and trust for my own websites, and they even offer 100% carbon neutral green hosting. For an easy, fast, and affordable way to get your personal website online today, visit careerrelaunch.net/a2 to get 50% off your web hosting plan.