What steps can you take to build and shape your own personal brand and freelance business? What choices will you have to make to define who you are? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Redd Horrocks, a former circus stage manager turned professional voiceover artist shares her thoughts on how to choose the right professional pursuits, the importance of saying “no,” and how you can tap into online marketplaces to build your freelance business. I also share some thoughts on why saying “no” is so important to building your personal brand.
Key Career Insights
- As a freelancer, feeling like your clients or business could suddenly disappear is a very common feeling.
- Planning is useful, but you should also stay focused on the present. Don’t look too far ahead. Things can always get better or worse, and it’s not always easy to tell.
- You don’t have to be hustling all the time. You have to make sure you practice some self-care so you don’t burn out on the business you’re trying to grow. It’s okay to say “no.”
Tweetables to Share
- Although we focused on the importance of saying “no” in this episode, I referred to Episode 4 with Polly Aspinall about the importance of saying yes.
- Redd referred to the online marketplaces Fiverr, Freelancer, PeoplePerHour, Upwork, and Voice Bunny, where she markets her voiceover services.
- You can find Redd featured in Business Insider, CNBC, and the Open for Business podcast in this August 2017 episode about “The Future of Work”.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of saying no to certain projects or opportunities that don’t reinforce your personal brand. What will you start saying “no” to to avoid diluting the person you’re trying to become? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
About Redd Horrocks, Voiceover Artist
Redd Horrocks is a Freelance Voiceover Artist. Her career started in 2003 with a chance encounter with a video game developer, and has continued to grow ever since. She has worked with a plethora of clients from more than 100 countries, completing over 50,000 different projects for anything you can think of, and some things she can’t forget. She recently launched Instant Voicemails that offers a range of professionally recorded greeting options. She’s originally from West Sussex, England, but currently resides in America. Follow Redd on Facebook.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Redd know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting allows you to offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.