What does it take to make a bold career move? How do you know when the right time has come to change careers? Khai Yong Ng explains how he relaunched his career from being a pharmacist to a digital marketer & growth strategist in the tech education sector. We’ll discuss not letting your past degree dictate your future and how you can hustle your way into an entirely new industry. Afterwards, during today’s Mental Fuel®, I’ll explain how to decide when it’s the right time for a career change.
Key Career Insights
- Having a backup plan or two can be a great enabler to making that career change you’ve been pondering.
- You have to take it upon yourself to continue building your skills and staying current if you want to keep up with the rapid evolution of jobs these days.
- Knowing when to make a big career change is a mix of believing in yourself and taking some bold steps to put yourself out there so you can eventually find your way–even if it takes a few steps.
Tweetables to Share
- Khai alluded to Tim Ferriss’ Four Hour Workweek
- Ramit Sethi I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- Jon Loomer’s blog focuses on Facebook advertising
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of defining your own unique tipping point when you decide the time has come to make a move in your career. Here’s some further guidance on 4 Signs You Might be in Wrong Job and 5 Signs of Career Dissatisfaction.
About Khai Yong Ng, Head of Growth at the NEXT Academy.
Khai Yong Ng is pharmacist-turned Digital Marketer based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. His curiosity towards the internet and the world of entrepreneurship drove him to leave his prestigious pharmacy profession to venture into the world of digital marketing and online entrepreneurship. He has since then held several important roles such as the Head of FB Advertising operations at Mindvalley and Head of Growth at the NEXT Academy, a coding bootcamp in Kuala Lumpur. Follow Khai on Facebook and LinkedIn.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Khai know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting this Podcast
BrandYourself offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.