Have you ever felt overwhelmed trying to balance everything in your work and life? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Lisa Abramson shares her story of how she relaunched her career in mobile advertising and PR to become a maternal mental health advocate and mindfulness coach. We’ll discuss the impact of motherhood and post partum depression on your professional outlook and the importance of self-awareness in your career. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll share my own challenges staying present in the moment, and a couple ways I stay focused in my own career.
Key Career Insights
- Ambition doesn’t just disappear once you become a parent.
- You can burn out doing work you hate AND work you love.
- Staying mindful of what drives you and fulfills your purpose can help you create a life that’s rich with moments that make you truly happy.
Tweetables to Share
- More on postpartum mental health issues:
- How to Spot Mental Health Issues, The Drum, Oct 31, 3017 article.
- I also featured Hannah Fredenberg in the listener call-in segment. You can check out her post about Spotlight on a Trailblazer, over at her new Bright Steps blog she’s created after moving on from her retail copywriting job, where you’ll find her very gracious summary of the work I’m doing.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel® segment, I talked about my own struggles to stay present and undistracted in my own career. I challenged you to tinker with one new way of forcing yourself to be a bit more present when you’re working on an important task or project. If you uncover a method that works well for you, be sure to leave a comment below with your tactic!
About Lisa Abramson
Lisa Abramson is an entrepreneur, TEDx speaker, maternal mental health advocate and bestselling author of The Wise Mama Guide to Maternity Leave. She founded Wise Mama, the only pregnancy and motherhood site that takes into account that when you become a mom, you don’t stop being YOU. She also co-founded Mindfulness Based Achievement, the New MBA, which teaches high potential women leaders how to create sustainable success. Lisa’s MBA 30 Day Meditation Challenge is for anyone interested in starting a meditation practice, but short on time (like corp leaders & new moms!). It just takes 5 mins a day.
Lisa was recently honored as one of the 100 Most Influential Leaders Empowering Women Worldwide by EBW and lives in Menlo Park, California with her family.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Lisa know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to the Forest App for Supporting this Podcast
Thanks to the Forest App for sponsoring this episode of Career Relaunch. Forest is the mobile app that helps you stay focused and present while also helping to plant real trees on the earth. Visit JosephPLiu.com/Forest to download the app on iOS or Android today.