What does it take to move to a new country and relaunch your life? In Career Relaunch Episode 21, Manuel Chilet shares his unique story of transplanting himself from Valencia, Spain to London, UK, shifting from Sales to the Hospitality industry. He now works on the concierge team at the W Hotel in London. During the episode, Manuel shares some useful tips on the impact a positive attitude can have on your career prospects, how to recreate your life and career in a new country, and a glimpse into the world of hotel hospitality. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll answer a listener question about how to manage having lots of different career interests.
Key Career Insights
- Societal norms often put pressure on us to build lives that may look good from the outside, but can leave you feeling unsatisfied within.
- Being comfortable with your life can and often does make it much more difficult to make a change, even if you know that change can bring you much more happiness
- Just like when you’re in a new city, you have to be open to exploring new paths in your career because you might be surprised about what ends up resonating with you.
Tweetables to Share
- Career Relaunch has been named as one of the Top 10 Business Podcasts for Entrepreneurs by AllBusiness. Check out the full list of Top 10 podcasts.
- Learn more about connecting with people outside our immediate network with marketer turned interior designer Noz Nozawa in Career Relaunch Episode 6
- This idea of exploring a few different areas simultaneously is something we talked about back in Career Relaunch Episode 9 with the cosmetics export manager turned naturopath Audrey Lemargue
- The concept of pursuing different career paths in sequence is something we talked about in Career Relaunch Episode 20 with the sniper turned magician Julian Mather.
At the end of this episode’s Mental Fuel® segment, I alluded to the idea of surrounding yourself with people who make you happy. My challenge to you find one person this week who makes you feel good when you’re around them—either a colleague or friend–who makes you feel energized, and you haven’t talked to in a while, and take the initiative to reconnect with them. Who will you plan to reconnect with? I’m actually planning to reconnect with Manuel when his episode airs!
About Manuel Chilet
Manuel Chilet was born in Spain and moved to London, England eight years ago. He decided to change his relatively comfortable life as a sales coordinator in Spain to start a career in hospitality in London. After relaunching his life in London, he eventually went on to become part of the concierge team at the W Hotel in Leicester Square London.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Manuel know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting this Podcast
BrandYourself offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.