Solonia Teodros discusses her international moves and shift from working in the PR world to co-founding The Change School, an organization focused on helping people navigate change. We’ll talk about how your cultural upbringing can affect your career choices and the importance of creating boundaries between work and the rest of your life. Afterwards, during today’s Mental Fuel segment, I’ll share a couple ways I maintain my own work/life balance.
Key Career Insights
- Proactively defining your own career narratives helps you manage multiple career changes and maintain a compelling, professional trajectory.
- You can’t please everyone, so if you are going to seek the approval of others, focus only on those people who truly matter the most to you.
- Any major career endeavor can take its toll on you, so you have to make sure you take care of yourself and allow yourself to recharge, recalibrate, and rest.
Tweetables to Share
- I mentioned I love browsing the news to get my mind off my work. I use Flipboard for consuming news, which helps me “check-out” a bit and read about non-career related topics. Solonia loves using Feedly!
- Great Harvard Business Review article on the importance of work-life balance (Mar’17): If You Want to Be Happy at Work, Have a Life Outside of It.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of giving yourself an opportunity to take breaks from your work. What’s one quick activity you could commit to doing on a regular basis that allows you step away from your job, rejuvenate, reflect, and recharge?
About Solonia Teodros, co-founder of The Change School
Solonia Teodros is driven by the potential of individuals, organisations and societies to change. Her vision for the world is one where everyone has the courage, confidence and commitment to realise their potential for greatness.
In 2013, she co-founed The Change School, a holistic lifestyle and learning brand for anyone at a cross-roads or pivotal life stage. They create experiential events, retreats and talks designed for conscious individuals and groups committed to continuous learning and growth. They believe, with the right tools, change can be a force for good. Follow them on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Solonia know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!