Create your Career Change
Relaunching your career is hard work, but it can be done
Making a major career change can be a very lonely journey, especially if you’re making an unconventional move or starting your own business. I’ve been there. Three times. I quit medical school after 2 weeks to pursue a career in marketing. I left behind my predictable life in the US to recreate my life in the UK. And I said farewell to my stable corporate job to start my own business. Each time, I felt like I was off the beaten path, like everyone else was happily cruising along in their careers while I was disrupting mine.
Over time, I realized most people yearn for a career change. In fact, according to Gallup, 87% of people are not fully engaged in their jobs.* After coaching and speaking with hundreds of professionals about career change, I’ve noticed common patterns, behaviors, and actions taken amongst those who have and have not successfully made a career change.
On my site, you’ll find tools & resources to help you navigate three of the most critical stages of your career change: when to change directions, how to create your change, and which steps can turn your ambitions into a reality.
Joseph’s resources have helped me prioritise what I really need for my life and what I can give up. It’s great to learn from someone who’s started doing what he’s passionate about and is making it work, but still applying his skills from his former career experiences. That’s what I hope to do too! I’ve learned a lot about career change and have decided the journey is absolutely worth taking!Corporate Banker
My unique approach to enabling career change is directly informed by:
- My own personal journey. Having navigating 3 major career changes and emerging happier, more fulfilled, and truer to myself each time, everything I share here is based on the realities of what worked for me and what didn’t.
- Insights from coaching other career changers. As an Internationally Certified Career Coach who’s coached and trained thousands of professionals who want to achieve more in their careers, the tools here are based on the common success patterns I see play out again and again.
- My professional experiences relaunching consumer brands. With 10 years of international, blue-chip marketing experience, my resources are built from my own experiences managing my career in the corporate world along with marketing techniques from managing four major brand relaunches.
Effective personal branding enables career change
I apply proven marketing methods used to relaunch international consumer products and companies to help you build & relaunch your own personal brand in a way that’s clear, concise, and memorable. The idea is to ensure your unique positioning is coming through at each stage of your career change journey. This involves gaining clarity on your strengths, marketing yourself with specific messaging, and consistently reinforcing your career story with outreach, job application materials, social media, networking, and interviewing. In my free Resource Hub, you’ll find frameworks to help you do this.
Clarity, confidence, and courage are change catalysts
- Find clarity: Check out my career change blog for my thoughts on how to navigate change. Here are three popular posts on the 7 stages of career change, 5 signs of career dissatisfaction, and how self-employment changed me.
- Gain confidence: Visit my Career Change Resource Hub for worksheets to help you clarify where you want to take your career.
- Gather courage: Hear inspiring stories of career reinvention on my Career Relaunch Podcast.
For more tailored advice & guidance . . .
If you want 1-on-1 guidance, I offer career consulting and personal brand consulting, where we can dive more deeply into your unique situation and create a more customised plan of action to help you achieve your career goals. Due to demand, I only accept a limited number of individual clients to ensure I can provide the most value possible to each and every client.
If you would like to explore hiring me as your private career coach, please first review my career coaching FAQs and client testimonials that contain more info about my approach and current fees. After reviewing my FAQs, you can also contact me to let me know more about your situation, and we can make a joint decision about whether 1-on-1 coaching could help you.